Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Wednesday





My apologies for not posting last night, the internet here at our hotel was down and then today I had to do a preliminary slideshow, a sample of 10 images from the photos I've taken so I had to get some ready. Now it's late and I'm tired so this will be a short post of just the highlights.

First off, I forgot to mention how excited I was the other day to step into the convenience store next to the train station here and find that Green Apple Hichew was sold there.

So yesterday we went to Nyon on the shore of Lake Geneva and went to a small museum that deals with the lake and then a couple of us went and got some Doner Kebabs for lunch which is probably one of the best sandwiches I've ever eaten. From there we jumped on a boat that took us across the border into Yvoire, France. We were mostly restricted to the old town sector which is pretty small but known for all the flowers that are there, especially in the windows. Very pretty, but I've found that generally I like greenery more than flowers. The highlight of that portion of the trip was seeing this old lady sunbathing topless. Wow.

Today we went to two museums, one a stained glass museum and another was one devoted to the artist Eugene Burnand. He does some incredible work but what really caught my eye were his portraits done with pastel.

Oh, another highlight from yesterday was learning about HDR (High Dynamic Range). I've known about the concept of it for a while but never knew where to look for more information on the technicalities of it. Basically you use a tripod and take 3 pictures, one metered normally, one overexposed and one underexposed. Then this program takes different values from each picture and mashes them together into one. It creates an amazing amount of depth because it pulls more detail out of your shadow and highlight areas. Clouds are what really seem to stand out but it also adds a ton of texture.

Anywho, enjoy the pictures. I'm off to bed.

No comments: