Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Scott Fife

In celebration of having turned in my catalog and also having been accepted officially into the Printmaking program, this morning I decided to take a breather from school work and spend some time searching the internet. Whit says I'm lucky that I'm an art major and can use that as an excuse, calling it research and I like to roll with that. Anywho, I was checking a couple blogs that my brother showed me and following some of their links when I came across this artist Scott Fife. He does these sculptural heads that are generally about 24 inches high and all he uses is archival cardboard, glue and screws. It's really amazing the level of detail he gets using the bare resources he does. If you want to check out more of his work you can do so here. The closest thing I've been able to find is this gallery's profile on him. I always love when people find these innovative ways to use materials, especially when they're somewhat uncommon materials to use as fine art.

Another thing I've discovered lately are Gestalten's design books. I was perusing the books at our library when I came across Illusive, a book on contemporary illustration. Come to find out the company that made the book, Gestalten, has a whole series of books that are beautifully designed and full of inspirational images. 4 or 5 of them quickly made their way onto my Amazon wishlist to sit until summertime when I make enough money to actually add them to my slowly growing family of resources to turn to when suffering from Artist's Block (I guess that would be the proper terminology).

1 comment:

Matt said...

love the sculpture. congrats on the official acceptance...hope it is getting warmer up north.