Monday, April 20, 2009

Herakut: the perfect merge.

A couple years back I found the book Graffiti Women for sale on Amazon and picked it up. Through it I was introduced to the work of Hera and immediately started searching the internet for more of her work. I found out that she was part of a two-person team with another graffiti artist named Akut and they did the whole Hollywood couple thing and smashed their names together creating HERAKUT. Since then I have periodically checked out their website and myspace page to continuously be blown away by the work they were doing. Their work combines this spontaneous, sketchy style with photorealistc portraiture and it's basically all done with a spraycan. About a month ago I checked their homepage and found an announcement for a book they were releasing in April. I did some more searching on the internet and found a couple sample pages and decided that I needed to get this book. Starting April 1st my daily routine was: wake up, take Whit to work, check my email, check Amazon to see if it had been released yet, start doing school work. As more time passed I found myself becoming increasingly antsy which is weird, I'm usually a perfect model of self-control (ask Whit) and kept searching for more and more about the book. I found one website that posted about a dozen pages and it was like heroine (so I'm told), I was wired. I kept worrying that I was just building myself up to be disappointed and the more time passed, the surer I got that it couldn't possibly live up to what I was expecting. But I couldn't help myself (again, heroine), and finally about a week ago I found that Amazon finally had it for sale. I ordered it and waited patiently, until it came today. The UPS guy rang the doorbell, I tore open my package and was awe-struck at how much better the book was than my already inflated expectations. I can't stop looking at it. And it makes me want to pull another all-nighter in the printmaking studio, which isn't good since I have a website due in 3 days.

Long story short, I give it two very enthusiastic thumbs up.


1 comment:

Brandt said...

I thought printmaking was just a hobby not something you would work hard at and stay up all night for? I'm sooo confused by your post. Oh and I need to see this book. I'm off of heroine but need something else to get my fix.