Friday, May 2, 2008

Advents in photo and printmaking

Well, today the government gave us some money. How nice of them. So we decided to do our part and try to stimulate the local economy by buying a new camera. We can call it my Finally-out-of-the-woods-and-can-breathe-again (aka: end of the semester) Present. While the lady at Inkleys was extremely helpful and I feel like the price was right, buying it reminded me why I prefer to buy things online. It's the social recluse in me. I don't like the small talk and when I'm online they won't try to pressure me into buying more than I really want or try to give me a guilt-trip when I don't buy the extended warranty on the spot, assuring me that the second I walk out the door the camera will spontaneously combust if I don't. It's like how she talked me into a memory card and as soon as I got home I found a better memory card online for half the price plus I can finally replace that quick-release plate for my tripod that Inkleys doesn't ever keep in stock.

On a slightly different but still related subject, the USU Bookstore put on clearance the Holgas that were required of all the Photo students taking an Independent Projects class. Thanks to Mark Dungan who structured the class that way and enabled me to pick one up for 10 bucks.

Soon enough I will post pictures of the portraits I did in woodcut for my Advanced Printmaking class, including the answer to the one-entry contest (but does it count as an entry if the guess was "I have no idea?" I'll have to look that up). Sadly, due to focusing most of my time on my other class I was only able to complete 3 portraits, including my self-portrait. But shortly I will finish 2 more, including Matt who was actually the second one I started, now that I don't have much to distract me.

I'm not sure if I've posted about it before but in a couple weeks I'll be taking a silk screen poster workshop. The big assignment is to do a rock poster. I'm thinking I'll probably do a Flight of the Conchords poster, but there is still some debate.

2 comments:

Matt said...

Wow! Good for you and way to stimulate the economy...I am feeling it down here in Provo.

[Morgan] said...

awesome. we are taking a gov funded trip to seaworld and disneyland. just doing our part i guess.