Monday, January 7, 2008

MOS. 5:15

"...as we become more spiritually mature and increasingly steadfast and immovable, we are less prone to zealous and exaggerated spurts of spirituality followed by extended periods of slackness. Recall the tortoise in Aesop’s fable to whom I referred earlier as an example of steadiness and persistence. The hare, on the other hand, is a classic example of a “spurter”- one who is given to short bursts of spectacular effort followed by frequent and lengthy periods of rest.

"A spurt may appear to be impressive in the short run, but steadiness over time is far more effective, far less dangerous, and produces far better results. Three consecutive days of fasting ultimately may not be as spiritually effective as three successive months of appropriate fasting and worship on the designated fast Sunday. An attempt to pray one time for five hours likely will not produce the spiritual results of meaningful morning and evening prayer offered consistently over five weeks. And a single scripture-reading marathon cannot produce the spiritual impact of steady scripture study across many months. (David A. Bednar, Steadfast and Immovable.)"

So I'm sitting in Elder's Quorum yesterday but my mind's not there. I'm thinking about some recent changes and things I've got coming up and overall not doing a good job of paying attention when something catches my attention and brings me back in the middle of this quote being read. It's been a while since I've had one of those "is this specifically for me?" moments. Nothing that I've heard had really hit home until I heard this quote.
Lately I've been going through some introspection trying to figure out the details for a project for my printmaking class that will deal with a personal revelation, tearing down some of the facades that we may put up in public and finding out what lies beneath. It's been an ongoing inner discussion I've had trying to determine what it means to "live your life" and "be true to yourself." So when I heard this quote it struck a chord and made me feel like this is a big part of what I've been looking for.
Anywho, school's back in, and truthfully I'm somewhat relieved. I've cut back on my hours at work so hopefully I'll not be so strapped for time on my projects at school, though I can already tell that I'm spending too much time thinking about the time we'll spend in Switzerland this summer.

2 comments:

Mandy Coffey said...

I LOVE THAT TALK BY ELDER BEDNAR! Way to post it. Love it.

Good Luck in school man!

Sue said...

Good to see you guys are doing great! Love ya!
Sue P

henpecks.blogspot